Friday, April 25, 2008

My Biggest Pet Peeve

I have many pet peeves. Most of them are minor and can be overlooked with a minimum of teeth gritting. However, there is one that simply makes my blood boil every time I so much as think about it.

What is this peeve that gets me so angry? I'll tell you. It's parents who say "My pets are just as important (or just the same) to me as my children are."

Now, don't get me wrong. I have pets myself. I know that they become a part of the family, and that we can get very attached to them. I love my dogs. But I never forget that that is what they are; dogs. They are important to me, but to say that they are just the same as my son is completely and totally ridiculous.

These people who do say this--I want to shake them hard and say, "How do you think it makes your children feel to know that in your eyes they are no better than the dog?!?!?"

So, the government wants to teach our children that the only reason they are here is because a gazillion years ago, the right blob of goo just happened to bump into another blob of goo, and all life on Earth miraculously sprang from this single blob of Super-Goo and because of this "fact" humans are no more valuable or worthy than a worm or a bug. After all, we're all just animals anyway, so why should we imagine that we are better than any other form of life?

Then they go home to parents who treat them as if they are no more valuable or worthy than the dog. After all, we're all just animals anyway, so why should we imagine that we are better than any other form of life?

And then we wonder what went wrong when they act like the animals we teach them that they are.

3 comments:

Inquiries said...

That bothers me too. I love my dog. But he is still a dog. Not a human.

Junk Diva said...

I agree Becky, and I have loved, LOVED a few dogs. But still it's not the same.

mornin'lady said...

I think our dog thinks he is one of us :) and we sure love him but the kind of thinking that puts our children in the animal catagory, hmmm...I'd say their minds need to be renewed.
*humorous side note - Maybe they watch too much TV, After my children watch any movies with horses in them, watch out, because they do transform themselves into a herd of horses for a while complete with the riding each other and bucking each other off and even eating out of bowls on the floor. Ha!