Monday, April 07, 2008

Photography Course

Blog Buddy Ashley mentioned an online photography course that she is working her way through. After much intense questioning and threats of torture, she cracked and let slip where this course can be found. Ok, really, I just asked and she was happy to tell me.

I have loved photography since I was 4 years old and my daddy gave me my very first camera. It was an old Polaroid (I think) 110 instamatic. Anyone else remember those? I took pictures of everything. When I got a little older, I began swiping my dad's Pentax K1000 Single Lens Reflex, and eventually bought one of my own.

A few years ago, I dipped my toe into the digital photography world and bought a Kodak EasyShare CX6330 point and shoot. Like my instamatic of old, it took decent pictures, but didn't quite do all that I wanted it to. After wanting one for years, I took the plunge into the Digital SLR world. I bought one of the lower end DSLRs--mainly because it's all I can afford--but it's a decent camera. I'm happy with it, though I'm still figuring out how to work all the bells and whistles.

Still, I've always felt that there was something missing from my photos. I felt that they lacked a certain quality that I see in other people's photos. I'm hoping this course can help me figure out what that quality is and improve my photography skills.

The first assignment was to take some abstract photos based on some of the compositional rules discussed in the lesson. These are my first attempts. Let me make my excuses first by saying that abstract is not my strong suit, and that I don't have a macro lens on my camera. I can still take some pretty close up shots, but I have to focus manually, and well, I'm blind as a bat--even with my glasses on. Therefore the focus on these photos is questionable. (I'm so blind I can't even tell if they are in focus, so help me out here!)

1.
2.
3.
Can you guess what these are? I think I'll work on this assignment a little more. I think I've got a fairly good grasp of composition. It's the abstract thing that's throwing me.

7 comments:

Inquiries said...

I caved when you threated to shove bamboo under my fingernails. ;)

Ohhh! Great pictures.
Now my guesses:
#1 Looks like a shirt

#2 Looks like vertical blinds

#3 Looks like a scarf or socks

I like the photography lessons. They are great!

Robin said...

#1 is your Karate Jacket or "gee" (I think that's how you spell it)
#2 have no idea
#3 Your Clapotis

They all look good to me!

Unknown said...

I think Robin almost had it--
1) Your gi/karate uniform jacket
2) Vertical blinds
3) knitting, but I think Robin had it with the Clapotis reference.
;-)
Good for you for taking the course! That's something I should do one of these days, when I have a nicer camera...and time!

Bag Blog said...

I knew that! Your photography lessons should help in your drawing too. Composition is difficult to teach because people just want to paint what they see and not make it "aestheically" pleasing to the eye. If you learn to see those things through your lens, it should help in putting it on drawing paper.

mornin'lady said...

well I for one am impressed that your digging in and getting to divulge in what you enjoy! learning is doing so keep it up girl and keep sharing :)

Buck said...

I think #1 is a blanket, I'll go with vertical blinds for #2 (or maybe a close-up of one of those letter holders?), and #3 is obviously some of your knitting.

My first camera was a Brownie Hawkeye, which I received for my ninth or tenth birthday. I bought my first SLR in '68 (still have it, too), and my first digital camera in '98. I've had my current digi cam for three years now, and a DSLR is on my wish-list. Dunno when that'll happen, but happen it WILL.

Becky G said...

Ashley, yep, that got you!

You ladies had some good guesses. The first picture is indeed my karate gi top, and the third one is a sample of my knitting. It is not Clapotis, though. It is my Roundabout socks. The middle one is confusing in that it does look like blinds. It is the space heater in my snake room, though. Thanks for playing!

Lou, funny you should say that, because I learned the rules of composition from a drawing book! Drawing for Dummies, by Brenda Hoddinott.

Thanks Dawn. What I really want to do is to go back to school and get a degree either in art or photography. That'll have to wait, though.

Buck, I remember Brownie Hawkeye cameras. I think my grandfather may have had one. I am so glad I took the plunge and got my DSLR. No, I really couldn't afford it. I got it with my tax refund, but I still could have used that money to pay bills. But it was something I wanted so bad I could taste it. I don't regret it a minute. After all, the bills we have always with us.