Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tournaments

Cody used to compete in karate tournaments all the time. A few years ago, though, he just seemed to lose interest. Last year he wanted to start competing again, but I just didn't have the money. This year, since I got such a big tax return, I told him that if he wanted to compete again, I'd set aside the money for his entrance fees. The first tournament of the spring season was actually last month, but we forgot all about it.

Yesterday, we remembered. Somehow I'd managed to promise sensei that I would compete. Why I don't know. I've never competed in a tournament before, so it was a first for me. I woke up that morning wondering why I'd ever told him that I would compete. When all was said and done, I still wondered why I'd told him I would compete, because I finished dead last in both of my divisions. Those judges don't know a good kata if one hit them upside the head. I mean, in my weapons division, another competitor did the same bo kata as I did and she totally messed it up. I mean, I was feeling sorry for her for doing such a bad job on it, yet wonder of wonders, she won first place. My bo kata wasn't perfect, but at least I made it through without stopping and going "wait a minute" and looking all confused, yet I placed last in the division.

Once I was done with that, I was asked to help judge kata--also a new experience for me. I actually enjoyed that more than anything else. Some of the kids I got to judge were only 4 to 5 years old. They were so cute! They were the first ones who competed, and I wasn't sure how to score them. I was sitting beside Sensei, so I listened to what he was giving them, and tried to pick a score not too far off from his. After a while, I got the hang of it, and really enjoyed myself.

After kata was done, came the sparring. I didn't have to help judge that because sparring only takes three judges, while kata takes five. (I didn't have to help judge weapons either, because not all of the people compete in weapons and they had enough judges.)

I was finally able to take some pictures.

Cody fought this kid, and was eliminated right away. This kid was really good, and ended up winning the division.

I told Cody that at least he lost to the one that won it all. He's been out of the tournament loop for quite a while. By next month, he ought to be better prepared.

I took yarn to knit while I was there, but didn't really have time to do anything. So I cast on this charity scarf after I got home and finished it up this afternoon.


The actual scarf is a deep purple--much darker than this shows. I took a picture out in the sunlight, but it looked blue. I don't know what was up with that.

Today the weather turned cold again, so I spent the afternoon watching DVDs and knitting. After finishing the purple scarf, I cast on another just like it in hot pink. No pictures, yet.

Maybe tomorrow.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I miss the days of taking my kids to ski races or soccer games or rodeos. Those were some fun times. Gosh, Cody is looking quite grown up.

Junk Diva said...

You were brave for competeing, even if you didn't know why you said yes, I hate it when I do that. Good looking boy you have there.

Inquiries said...

I agree with Lou Cody is looking grown up. It is amazing to me how fast the baby face disappears.

Becky G said...

Lou, yes, they do grow up so fast. I miss soccer games, and Little League, and even Cub Scouts. At least karate is something he won't outgrow.

Diva, thanks. It was the first time I'd ever competed. I was so nervous that I couldn't even announce the name of my kata!

Ashley, yes, the baby face is gone and soon he'll be starting to shave. Where does the time go?